Students will spend the week divided into groups called “committees” (approx. 15 students) and every committee is split into two “caucuses.”
We need volunteers to monitor these groups and be available to the students for assistance throughout the program. This could range from technical assistance to questions about the simulation. Volunteers are not required to be “experts” on issues or on government. We will spend time before the program starts to walk you through the bills your group will be working on and to answer any questions you have.
Volunteers are vitally important and are in a unique position to help ensure that all students have a positive and beneficial time at LEAD. The following is provided in order for you to know what is expected of our volunteers so that you can best function as part of the LEAD Team. Please feel free to call the SSI office for clarification or questions.
Volunteers are expected to respectfully submit to SSI Staff and LEAD instructors and to serve with maturity and professionalism.
Volunteers are expected to participate in all sessions and caucus meetings. If you will be unavailable for a period, please coordinate your absence with the Director of Programs.
PROTECTION: Never be alone with a student in a break-out room and do not arrange any one-on-one sessions with a student. This is for your protection as well as the protection of the student.
POLICIES, STANDARDS, & EXPECTATIONS: Please review the policies page carefully. This is the standard of behavior for our students, and we need our volunteers to model that behavior. Please be aware of our dress code and dress accordingly. Volunteers are expected to follow the same dress code as the students. Volunteers will not be asked to initiate any disciplinary actions with students, nor should you assume that responsibility. This includes asking students to change if they are out of dress code.
Thank you for your willingness to serve in this capacity. SSI requires that its employees subscribe to its Statement of Faith and Lifestyle Statement. We ask that all volunteers of LEAD also subscribe to them.
- SSI is a non-profit Christian organization representing Jesus Christ. As such, SSI requires its employees/volunteers to be born-again Christians, living their lives as Christian role models (Rom. 10:9-10; I Tim. 4:12; Luke 6:40). Employees/volunteers will conduct themselves in a way that will not raise questions regarding their Christian testimonies. A Christian lifestyle should reflect the biblical perspective of integrity and appropriate personal and family relationships, business conduct, and moral behavior. An employee/volunteer is expected to demonstrate a teachable spirit, an ability to share love for others, a willingness to live contentedly under authority, and a commitment to follow the Matthew 18 principle when an issue arises with fellow employees/volunteers or management.
- SSI expects employees/volunteers to maintain a lifestyle based on biblical standards of moral conduct. Moral misconduct, which violates the bona fide occupational qualification for employees to be Christian role models, includes, but is not limited to drunkenness, premarital sex, adultery, and homosexual behavior or any other violation of the unique roles of male and female (Rom. 1:21-27; I Cor. 6:9-20). SSI believes that biblical marriage is limited to a covenant relationship between a man and a woman, and we believe in the sanctity of human life from conception through natural death.
- SSI employees/volunteers will maintain a lifestyle based on biblical standards of conduct. Failure to do so may result in a reprimand or, in some cases, dismissal. It is the goal of SSI that each employee/volunteer will have a lifestyle where “…He might have the pre-eminence.” Col. 1:18
Adapted with permission from www.acsiglobal.org/wp-content/uploads/ACSI-Lifestyle-Statement.pdf
Volunteers who faithfully pour into the lives of the students are part of what make the past successes of LEAD so great. We are thankful for your desire to sow eternal seeds into the hearts and minds of the next generation! If you have any questions about what is expected of our Volunteers or about the application process, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 517-321-6233.
If you are interested in volunteering for LEAD Online, we ask that you complete this form, and we will be in contact with you within two weeks. All applicants will be subject to a background check. Volunteers who are accepted will be asked to sign the a volunteer expectations document.
SSI's Statement of Faith
- The Bible is the inspired, infallible, and authoritative Word of God.
- There is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- The Lord Jesus Christ, the only Son of God and the Savior of all humanity, was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, lived a sinless life culminating in His vicarious and atoning death through His blood, bodily resurrection, and His ascension to the right hand of the Father. He will come a second time at the end of this age.
- Regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for salvation, which is by grace, through repentance and faith in what Jesus did on the cross.
- It is the present ministry of the indwelling Holy Spirit that enables the Christian to live a godly life.
- There will be a resurrection of both the saved and the lost; those that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and those that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- There is a spiritual unity of all true believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
LEAD Online Volunteer Application