You have already agreed to this Student Covenant & Permission to Attend when registering; however, please be sure to read this together with your student. Each student will be expected to abide by this covenant or face appropriate consequences, possibly even being asked to leave.
The Student Statesmanship Institute’s summer program, LEAD, is Michigan’s premiere biblical worldview and leadership training program for teens. We hope your experience here will be enjoyable, rewarding, and challenging. The instructors, staff, and chaperones are committed to helping you grow as a leader, and they are looking forward to you being here. The development of leadership skills includes taking responsibility for your own life and conduct, and the foundation for all behavior at all times can be summed up in the word “respect.” Please read the following carefully.
“Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another, be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.” 1 Peter 3:8
- The Bible says that Christians should “think on things that are excellent” and “avoid all appearance of evil.”
- I will maintain the highest moral standards and maintain a clear personal witness through proper conduct and appropriate dress (see page four of the LEAD Policies for our standards).
- I will not drink alcoholic beverages or use tobacco in any form while at LEAD; I will not use any type of illegal substances, engage in offensive language, etc.
- Leadership involves self-discipline, which means accepting personal responsibility to do those things which are expected of you “as unto the Lord.” Christian leadership involves servanthood. Jesus said, “Whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant.”
- I will be prompt and attentive in all classes and activities and keep myself, my belongings, and my room neat and clean.
- I will display a servant attitude toward my fellow classmates, instructors, staff, chaperones, and Cleary staff.
- LEAD is an environment conducive to learning and personal growth and one in which you can make friends and not be distracted by outside influences.
- I will not bring to LEAD anything that would detract from this goal (including but not limited to the items described on page four of the LEAD Policies). Neither will I use the computer or internet inappropriately when doing research
- LEAD is held at Cleary University and visits other venues such as the Capitol Building, etc. We believe it is important to present a clear testimony for Jesus Christ among our neighbors and in the community.
- I will respect the property, privacy, and rights of others, whether associated or not associated with LEAD or SSI.
- The Bible commands us to submit to authority. It is our desire that each student has a teachable spirit and is willing to be cooperative, obedient, and respectful to any person in God-ordained authority.
- I will obey the rules and submit to the authority of staff, instructors, and chaperones, and obey the rules including those given in the LEAD Policies, LEAD Campus Policies, and Cleary University Student Code of Conduct.
I have read and agree with all of the above. I have also read and agree to abide by the LEAD Policies. I understand that I will be expected to abide by this signed covenant. I further understand that if I choose not to abide by this signed covenant, I will face appropriate consequences, possibly even being asked to leave.
Permission to Attend Student Statesmanship Institute
I, as parent/legal guardian of a student attending the Student Statesmanship Institute’s summer program, LEAD, at Cleary University in Howell during the summer of 2020, do hereby give my permission for his/her attendance, and further:
I agree to hold Cleary University and Student Statesmanship Institute, the owners and lessees of any premises used to conduct classes or activities, their sanctioning institutions, agents, officers, directors, and employees harmless and indemnify them from any injury, loss, damage, or claim of any nature arising out of or related to my child’s participation in the classes and activities of LEAD, specifically including any negligent act or omission of the above.
I give permission to Student Statesmanship Institute to use my child’s photograph/video, oral and/or written comments in promoting SSI and/or LEAD.
I have read and agree with all of the above, and I support Student Statesmanship Institute in its endeavor to provide the best possible learning environment for every student.