LEAD 2018 Week 3 - Parent Information
Week 3 Schedule & Location Info
We’re thrilled that your student is joining us for LEAD Week 3, July 15-20! Below, you will find key info, emergency phone numbers, location information for each track’s final presentations, and more.
SUMMER CONTACT PHONE NUMBER: (989) 272-2776
Location and parking information available below.
- Campaign track students will participate in the LEAD 2018 Gubernatorial Debate on Wednesday, July 18 from 7:00-8:30pm (at the GLCC Doty Center).
- Senate students will participate in the Senate session on Friday, July 20, from 8:45-11:10am in the Michigan State Capitol, in the Senate Chambers. You can watch from the 3rd floor gallery. Senators will also be able to serve as House leadership during the House session in the afternoon (details below).
- House students will take part in the House session on Friday, July 21, from 12:30-3:30pm on the floor of the State Senate in the Michigan State Capitol. You can view the session from the 3rd floor gallery.
Directions to the GLCC Campus
Great Lakes Christian College
6211 W Willow Hwy
Lansing, MI 48917
Parking available on site. Note: both the Wednesday campaign debate and Friday closing ceremony will be held in the Doty Center on campus.
Directions to the State Capitol Building
Michigan State Capitol
100 N Capitol Ave
Lansing, MI 48933
Metered parking or nearby pay-to-park lots are available (click here for closest lot directions)
Detailed LEAD Week 1 Arrival, Pickup, & Presentation Information
We’re excited to see you at Week 3 of LEAD: July 15-20, 2018! Here are a few things students will want to know to make this week an awesome time…
Before you come…
Make sure you’re coming prepared for an awesome week! Besides appropriate clothing for the various events of the week, you’ll also need to pack sheets or a sleeping bag, towels and toiletries, and a fan in case it gets hot at night. Click here to see what else you should bring.
Dorms open at 5:30pm on Sunday, July 15th. Registration is open from 6-6:30pm. All students should arrive by 6:30pm. Registration occurs in the Administration Building of Great Lakes Christian College (6211 W Willow Hwy, Lansing, MI 48917). If you are delayed and will arrive late, please call us at (989) 272-2776.
Departure & pick-up information:
The closing ceremony on Friday will begin at 4:00pm at the Doty Center on GLCC’s campus. All parents are invited to attend. If you are not attending the closing ceremony, please arrive no later than 5:00pm to pick up your student.
Policies and don’t-miss info:
Before you come, read over our camp policies to make sure you’re bringing everything you need. Please note this new GLCC policy: Food or snacks which contain peanuts/peanut products, etc. are NOT allowed in any building on campus (including dorms).
To reach Student Statesmanship Institute staff during the week of LEAD, call (989) 272-2776.
- Dorms will open at 5:30pm on Sunday, July 15th. Rooms are chosen on a first come, first served basis. We do not assign roommates. Students choose dorms by writing their name on a list on the door of the room they choose (if you want to room with someone, make sure you are choosing your room together as you both need to be there to add your name). This week the dorms will be at full capacity. Students who want to room together are responsible to all be present once dorms open and to reserve their rooms together. Guys’ dorm rooms can have 2-4 roommates, girls’ dorm rooms have 2-3.
- Registration is from 6-6:30pm, with a student icebreaker starting at 6:30. If you arrive between 6:00 and 6:30, head straight to the Administration Building to register your student and your student can pick a dorm room after registering. If you arrive after 6:30 pm, put their belongings in the cafeteria. They will have time to choose a room after the icebreaker and orientation.
- First-time parents are invited to a informational meeting with SSI President James Muffett, Programs Director Aimee Chauvin, and Executive Administrator Joslyn Nelkie immediately after registration on Sunday at 6:30pm in the Music Room (where registration takes place). This is an optional meeting that all parents are welcome to attend, but parents of first-time attendees are strongly encouraged to stay. It will include an overview of what the week will look like for your child with time for questions.
- Student orientation begins at 7pm. If you will be late or something happens, PLEASE call us at (989) 272-2776.
- Pizza will be served Sunday night at 8:30pm. As it is very late in the day, you may want to get dinner before dropping off your student.
- Campaign track students will take the stage Wednesday evening for the LEAD Gubernatorial Campaign Debate, held at the Doty Center on GLCC’s campus (July 18 at 7:00pm). Come watch your student in action!
- House and Senate students will debate their bills on Friday at the State Capitol in the Senate chambers. You are welcome to watch from the 3rd floor gallery. The Senate session starts at about 8:45am and the House session begins at 12:30pm.
- We will have a closing ceremony on Friday, July 20 at 4pm in the Doty Center at Great Lakes Christian College. All parents are invited to attend. We ask that those not attending the closing ceremony arrive no later than 5pm to pick up your child.
If you need directions to Great Lakes Christian College or the Capitol see above for the maps and addresses of these venues. Please see the confirmation packet for help on answering many of the other questions you may have about times, places, what to bring, what not to bring, dress code, and more. You can download the confirmation packet here.
CAMP PHONE NUMBER: If you need to speak with camp staff at any point throughout the week of camp, please contact us at the following number: (989) 272-2776. If it goes to voicemail, leave a message and someone will call you back as soon as possible.
We also wanted to give you a heads-up on our 2018 LEAD gear that is available! You can purchase a LEAD 2018 t-shirt, LEAD backpack (only $6 and great for carrying your binder, water bottle, and other gear at camp!), or a commemorative group photo—or get a bundle of all three for $25! T-shirts, backpacks, and vintage SSI shirts will also be available for purchase at camp.
See you July 15th!
Joslyn Nelkie, Executive Administrator
LEAD Contact Info
LEAD Camp Phone:
Great Lakes Christian College
6211 W Willow Hwy
Lansing, MI 48917
(For camp questions, call the LEAD Camp Phone number above. The office will be staffed part-time through the week.)