LEAD 2017 Parent Information
Week 2 Schedule & Location Info
We’re thrilled that your student is joining us for LEAD Week 2, June 25-30! Below, you will find key info, emergency phone numbers, location information for each track’s final presentations, and more.
EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBER: (989) 272-2776
Location and parking information available below.
- Mock Trial students will participate in one of three trials. Trial 1 will be held in the Administration Building of Great Lakes Christian College on Thursday, June 29, from 6:55-8:30pm. Trials 2 & 3 will take place at the Lansing City Courthouse on the 6th floor of City Hall on Friday, June 30, from 8:15-10:45am.
- Senate students will participate in the Senate session on Friday, June 30, from 9:00-11:10am in the Michigan State Capitol, on the House floor. You can watch from the 3rd floor gallery. Senators will also be able to serve as House leadership during the House session in the afternoon (details below).
- House students will take part in the House session on Friday, June 30, from 12:30-3:15pm on the floor of the House of Representatives in the Michigan State Capitol. You can view the session from the 3rd floor gallery.
- Moot Court students will present arguments in the Michigan Supreme Court chambers (in the Hall of Justice) on Friday, June 30, from 12:20-3:00pm.
Directions to the GLCC Campus
Great Lakes Christian College
6211 W Willow Hwy
Lansing, MI 48917
Parking available on site. Note: Friday closing ceremony will be held in Doty Center on campus.
Directions to the State Capitol Building
Michigan State Capitol
100 N Capitol Ave
Lansing, MI 48933
Metered parking or nearby pay-to-park lot available (click here for lot directions)
Directions to Lansing City Hall (District Ct.)
Lansing City Hall
6th Floor (District Court)
124 W Michigan Ave
Lansing, MI 48933
Metered parking or nearby pay-to-park lots available.
Directions to Hall of Justice
Michigan Hall of Justice
925 W Ottawa St
Lansing, MI 48915
Free parking is available in the Hall of Justice east parking lot.
Detailed Week 2 Arrival, Pickup, & Presentation Information
Dear Parents & Students,
Summer is almost here, and with it, week 2 of SSI LEAD! We are so excited, and wanted to share a few things so you can be prepared for this life changing experience. Please take the time to read this email thoroughly so that you are fully prepared for your week at camp!
- Dorms will open at 5:30pm on Sunday, June 25th. Rooms are chosen on a first come, first served basis. We do not assign roommates.
- Registration is from 6-6:30pm, with a student icebreaker starting at 6:30. If you arrive between 6:00 and 6:30, head straight to the Administration Building to register your student and your student can pick a dorm room after registering. If you arrive after 6:30 pm, put their belongings in the cafeteria. They will have time to choose a room after the icebreaker and orientation.
- First-time parents are invited to a informational meeting with SSI President James Muffett and C.O.O. Tim Van Loh immediately after registration on Sunday at 6:30pm in the Music Room (where registration takes place). This is an optional meeting that all parents are welcome to attend and will include an overview of what the week will look like for your child and time for questions.
- Student orientation begins at 7pm. If you will be late or something happens, PLEASE call us at (989) 272-2776.
- Pizza will be served at 8:30pm. As it is very late in the day, you may want to get dinner before dropping off your student.
- House and Senate students will debate their bills on Friday at the State Capitol in the House chambers. You are welcome to watch from the 3rd floor gallery. The Senate session starts at about 9am and the House session begins at 12:30pm.
Mock Trial Students: the first trial will take place in the Administration Building ofGreat Lakes Christian College at 6:55-8:30pm on Thursday, June 29th. Mock Trials 2 and 3 will run from 8:15-10:45am on Friday, June 30th, at the Lansing City Courthouse (6th floor).
Moot Court Students will present their cases at the Hall of Justice on Friday, June 30th from 12:20-3:00pm.
- We will have a closing ceremony on Friday, June 30 at 4pm in the Doty Center at Great Lakes Christian College. All parents are invited to attend. We ask that those not attending the closing ceremony arrive no later than 5pm to pick up your child.
If you need directions to Great Lakes Christian College, the Capitol, courthouses, or any of our Advanced Track Presentations, addresses and maps are available below. Please see the confirmation packet for help on answering many of the other questions you may have about times, places, what to bring, what not to bring, dress code, and more. You can download the confirmation packet here.
EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBER: If there is an emergency of any kind throughout the week of camp, please contact us at the following number: (989) 272-2776
If you would like a commemorative group photo from the week, please pre-order it now to ensure availability. You can place your order here.
Amanda Pattillo-Lunt, Executive Administrator