LEAD Camp Information
THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN WEEK 1 of LEAD 2022 (June 26-July 1, 2022)!
LEAD 2022 is finally here, and we’re excited to give another year of students a life-changing summer!
Below you can find critical information for parents and students alike, including packing, lodging, check-in, events, and more. Please review each section of this page carefully, and download the confirmation packet with the button to the right.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the SSI office at the contacts below at any time.
Before You Come:
Make sure you are coming prepared for an awesome week! Bring appropriate clothing for the various events of the week (you can find more information in the “LEAD Dress Code Guide“); you will also need to pack sheets or a sleeping bag, towels and toiletries, and a few more necessary items. Be sure to bring a reusable water bottle to refill throughout the week so you can stay hydrated! Look under the “What to Bring” section within “Details and Policies” to see what else you should bring.
Before you come, be sure to read over our camp policies! You’ll be expected to be aware of and adhere to these policies during LEAD. A copy of the camp policies will be included in your student binder.
Arrival & Check-In Information
Student check-in will be open 5:15-6:15pm in the Kresge Student Life Center at Spring Arbor University (133 Ogle Ave, Spring Arbor, MI 49283; you can park on either Ogle Avenue or College Street). Once in the building, look for the signs pointing to the chapel. All students should arrive before 6:15pm. Student orientation will begin promptly at 6:30pm. If you will be late or something happens, PLEASE call us at (517) 321-6233 x2.
If you are delayed and will arrive late, please call us at 517-321-6233 x2. Students arriving after 6:30 pm should bring their luggage to orientation. They will have time to take their luggage to their rooms afterward.
Pizza will be served Sunday night at 8:15 pm. As it is very late in the day, you may want to get dinner before dropping off your student.
Medications: All medications should have been indicated on the registration form. Any and all medications brought to camp will need to be handed in to our medical coordinator at check-in. If your student did not indicate their medications on the registration form or there has been any change to their medication since registering, please contact the office with updated information.
COVID-19: Please Note: Spring Arbor University will not be requiring face coverings or social distancing.
- Please monitor your student’s health leading up to camp and let us know if they are exhibiting any severe or concerning symptoms before bringing them to LEAD.
- If your student has had “prolonged exposure” (15 minutes or more exposed to someone with a positive COVID-19 test) since June 12th, please contact us.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office to discuss.
- Dorms will be assigned before LEAD. On the registration form, students had the opportunity to indicate whether they would like to be assigned to room with a specific person. Students wishing to room together MUST have both requested the other as a roommate in the appropriate field on the registration form. We also allowed students to request suitemates who will not dorm in the same room but will be in the room connected by a bathroom; we cannot guarantee to assign suitemates as requested, but if we are able, we will do so. Dorm assignments cannot be changed at camp. Each dorm room accommodates two people. No student will be alone in a suite. Students will receive a room and dorm key during their stay at SAU; however, any students who lose their key will be responsible to pay SAU for the cost of replacing it before checking out on Friday. All students will be housed in air-conditioned dorms; we had previously contacted female students about potentially rooming in a non-air-conditioned dorm, but that will not be necessary. Men’s and Women’s dorm buildings are separate.
- Medications: All medications should have been indicated on the registration form. Any and all medications your student brings with them will need to be handed in to our medical coordinator at check-in. If your student did not indicate their medications on the registration form or there has been any change to their medication since registering, please contact the office with updated information.
- CAMP PHONE NUMBER: If you need to speak with camp staff at any point throughout the week of camp, please contact us at the following number: (517) 321-6233 x2. If your call goes to voicemail, leave a message and someone will call you back as soon as possible. For non-urgent matters, you can email us at email@example.com.
- If you need directions to Spring Arbor University or the Legislative Sessions in Lansing, you can find the most up-to-date information by clicking here. Please see the confirmation packet for help on answering many of the other questions you may have about times, places, what to bring, what not to bring, dress code, and more. You can download the confirmation packet here.
Parents are welcome to join certain LEAD events, listed below:
- First-time parents are invited to a informational meeting with SSI President Joseph Cecil immediately after check-in on Sunday at 6:15pm in the Den in the lower level of the Kresge Student Life Center at Spring Arbor University. This is optional, but parents of first-time attendees are strongly encouraged to stay. It will include an overview of what the week will look like for your student with time for questions.
- Parents are welcome to join us for evening Chapel on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday at 7pm in the Ralph Carey Forum in the Kresge Student Life Center at Spring Arbor University. Guest speakers are as follows:
- Monday: Mr. Lorenzo Sewell
- Tuesday: Mr. Stevie Baylock
- Wednesday: Mr. Blaine Schultz
- Business students will give their investor presentations Thursday evening at 7pm in the White Auditorium at Spring Arbor University. Parents are invited to come watch your student in action!
- House and Senate students will debate their bills on Friday, July 1st in the Capitol Building in Lansing. Please check our website for detailed information before coming. The Senate session starts at 9:15am and the House session begins at 12:40pm. These sessions are held in the House Chambers (please use the third-floor gallery). *There is always a possibility that we will move from the Chambers. Please check our website for updates before going to the Capitol.
- Advanced Business students will give their investor presentations Friday afternoon at 3pm in the Kresge Student Life Center (once in the building, look for the signs pointing to chapel). Parents are invited to come watch your student in action!
- We will have a closing ceremony on Friday, July 1st at 5pm in the White Auditorium at Spring Arbor University. All parents are invited to attend.
Closing Ceremony and Check-out Information
The closing ceremony on Friday will begin at 5:00pm in White Auditorium on Cottage Street on Spring Arbor’s campus. All parents are invited to attend. If you are not attending the closing ceremony, please arrive before 6:00pm to pick up your student.
When picking up your student, both student and parent (or adult picking up student) will need to come to check out so SSI can relinquish the student into the parent’s or relative’s care.
Parents: Get the latest news from LEAD!
To reach Student Statesmanship Institute staff during the week of LEAD, call (517) 321-6233 x2.
You can purchase a LEAD 2022 t-shirt, LEAD backpack, or a commemorative group photo at camp.